Forgive me for all these gnarly pictures I’m posting lately. I’m still playing catch up from holiday goodies and I just never get good pictures then. You’d never speak to me if I didn’t share this Deep Dark Mocha Cake with you though. I could not wait to get a slice of this! The name is a bit confusing because there’s no dark chocolate in sight, so I’m not sure why it’s named “deep dark.” When it tastes this good, I don’t care what you call it! Take an ordinary chocolate cake and soak it with espresso, next add a layer of cream cheese filling, then cover the entire cake in chocolate ganache. Done, done, and done!
So, how’s it taste?
The original recipe calls for this to be a torte, but I didn’t feel like trying to slice cakes and I wanted to reduce the amount of filling to make this cake less rich. What? Yeah, that makes no sense, but carry on. This cake was exceptional! I couldn’t really detect the espresso as much as I wanted though. So the final cake was just a chocolate cake, cream cheese filling, chocolate ganache. I didn’t miss the espresso! The ganache is pretty much to die for. I will definitely be making this one again someday and I might just get crazy and do the entire torte. 😉
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 50 min
Total Time: 3 hr 25 min
Deep Dark Mocha Cake
1 box chocolate fudge cake mix (I used Devil’s Food)
Water, vegetable oil, and eggs called for on cake mix box
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup rum or water (I used rum)
1 1/4 tsp. instant espresso coffee granules/powder
1 package (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 to 1 1/2 tsp. milk
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
6 tbsp. butter
1/3 cup whipping cream
1. Heat oven to 350F (325F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease and lightly flour two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans, or spray with baking spray with flour. Make and cool cakes as directed on box for 8- or 9-inch rounds. Refrigerate layers about 45 minutes for easier handling.
2. Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, stir granulated sugar, rum, and coffee granules until coffee is dissolved. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Cool completely.
3. In medium bowl, beat filling ingredients with electric mixer on low speed just until blended, adding enough milk for spreading consistency; set aside.
4. In 1-quart saucepan, heat ganache ingredients over low heat, stirring frequently, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Refrigerate about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
5. Level cakes if necessary. Brush about 1 tablespoon of the rum mixture over top (or cut side if you leveled) of each layer; let stand 1 minute to soak into cake. Spread filling over the top of one layer. Top with second layer of cake. Spread ganache over side and top of cake. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
It totally looks deep and dark! I’m actually surprised it’s made with semisweet chocolate. In any event, this looks like my kind of cake!!
This looks like an insanely big snack cake thingy. Love it!
Chocolate, espresso, cream cheese…all of my favorite things in one cake! Looks delicious, I could definitely go for one huge slice right now 🙂
This cake looks gorgeous, Leah! I love the mocha flavors in here. And that ganache sounds incredible! This could definitely be my next birthday cake!
This cake looks super moist and rich. Oh how I’d love a bite right now.
Yum yum yum yum YUM! This looks like my kind of cake. Gorgeous frosting job and looks so rich and delicious 🙂
This cake looks delicious, Leah! Love how fudgy the cake is and it sounds amazing with the cream cheese filling and chocolate ganache frosting!
You have me drooling over here Leah! This cake looks amazing! This would actually be so great for Valentines Day, just slice some strawberries up to give it some red : )
Oh wow! This looks so fudgey and delicious. I definitely couldn’t stop at one slice.
Whoa. This thing looks amazingly incredible. I would like my face to high five it right now!! 🙂
This looks so rich and delicious, Leah! I probably shouldn’t be looking at this when I’m hungry and we have no dessert in the house though! Can you please ship me some?! 🙂
This is absolute perfection on a plate! I can practically taste all that rich chocolate-y flavor!
WOW!! This looks amazing!! Chocolate lovers be like… I need this!! 🙂 And you’re so right! We can call it whatever we want! I just want some!
Wow this looks good!! SERIOUSLY seriously good!!!! beautiful cake, my dear! Pining it for later!